Search This Blog

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Happy Birthday!

Have you ever had that person who always pushed you to give it your all, but not in the annoying, gonna feel like a failure if you mess up, kind of way. In a way where when you lose one of your many soccer games you hear "Did you win?" "Nope" "Did you have fun?" "Yes! Let me tell you about it...." and him saying "Well that's all that matters! and then pretending like he's listening for the next couple hours about a silly middle school soccer game. He's the man who calls my cell phone, still to this day, and sings "I just called to say I love you", and not the short version... He's the daddy everyone hugs when they see him and asks how Mr. Davis, Ken, Dale, or Uncle Joe is doing when they haven't seen him lately.

And he's all MINE! (well, with the exception of sharing him with my sister)

I couldn't have asked for a better daddy. I personally don't remember any times where I was so angry at him I could run away. Probably because my sister and I were genuine daddy's girls. He's always treated us like princesses and still does. He'll always know when you're lying, so don't even try to say you were home late because of the bridge being up. The worst thing he ever said to me, the one time in my life when I was 13 and just WISHED he would beat the crap out of me instead of the response I did receive was,

"I'm not angry, just disappointed."

And that was the first time I've ever seen my daddy, a 57 year old (at the time) man, cry. I promised myself, from that day on, that I would never do anything ever again to cause my daddy to cry. This caused me to make much better choices in my life than some old friends or schoolmates who completely ruined their lives, and broke their family's hearts.
The only reason I never went through with moving to Oregon, well, until August, was because of him. I didn't want to break his heart. He was the first person I talked to about it. I wanted to see his initial response, and base my move on that. I don't know if he was just trying to look really strong, or if he was really OK with the idea, but he told me "I'm going to be sad to know you're not here every night (pause), but I'm already sad knowing you are here and not happy with your life, so I rather you go and try to find happiness". And that was this move's theme. Find happiness. I think it found me. It fills my soul and comes out my lips with laughter! I still miss my daddy, mama, and the tri-mulli crew like mad, but nothing a little phone call can't cure!

My daddy turned 68 today. He pretends he doesn't like a big whoo-haaa for his birthday, but who doesn't?? I set my alarm and called him early to sing Happy Birthday in my sleepy voice and ask about his day. He informed me that he got a rich, delicious chocolate cake in the shape of a heart from the equally fabulous person on this planet. He said the type of thing that I somewhat expected to hear, but still means a lot to me to this day, especially with his heart/health history.

"I'm just so blessed to have made it another year."

We all get so wrapped up what you got and where you're going and what you're doing for our birthday celebrations, but forget what it really means. We freakin' made it to another one! Live life and appreciate it because we never know what we'll make it to.

Happy Birthday, Daddy! Enjoy your cake!





1 comment:

  1. I have never met your dad, but just based on everything I've heard about him, I already love him. I hope he had an awesome birthday, and I hope he has many many more to come! <3

    ReplyDelete