Search This Blog

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Day O' Rest


Today is my first day off in 10 days. I decided I would silence the phone, get packed into my bed comfortably, and sleep in as long as possible. Apparently I forgot to silence my phone. 9 e-mails, 2 calls, 6 text messages, 2 facebook notifications, and 2 Blackberry instant messages later, I was awake. But sleeping in until 10:30 isn't too shabby! Why today was everyone contacting me?? Oh, right, it's a holiday.

Holidays definitely do NOT seem the same without your family and traditions. I don't want a pity party, this was totally my doing. (And I definitely had TONS of invites from friends out here to come over, but I think resting and icing my arm is a somewhat high priority on my list.) I decided I would move 3,000 miles away from the norm and see how things go. Honestly, there were a couple years between my grandma passing away and my nephew being born where I could've cared less about Thanksgiving. The holiday who's date was formed by our brilliant president at the time saying "Hey, let's have it on the 4th Thursday of every November to boost our economy." Seriously??

I would like to think I remind people I love and myself of what I'm thankful for, more than one day a year. Because I truly am. And I'm not just talking about "friends and family and my job." No. I think it's a given that everyone is thankful for their friends and families and jobs during this economy. But also, I'm thankful that I don't have to walk miles and miles just to access clean water to drink or wash my clothes in. I'm thankful for a therapist who helped me overcome my speech impediment. I'm thankful every-freakin-single day for doctors and surgeons and technology when I look at my nephew. I'm thankful for hangers to hang my clothes on, and for my iron when I decide I dont feel like hanging them. I'm thankful for the 4 blankets on me right now, two of which my mom made with her own two strong, beautiful hands, to keep me warm. I'm thankful for music. Music heals the soul, inspires, causes controversy.

So what does one do for this holiday when normal traditions are unavailable? Let's just say I hope there's not a hidden camera in this house. ALL of my roommates are away for atleast the evening. In the 4 hours I've been awake I've eaten someone's left over Domino's pizza and breadsticks. Drank an entire french press of coffee, in my favorite mug from my sister, with creamer and sugar from a canister labeled as "crack". Watched 7 episodes of King of the Hill, Season 8. Iced my arm, 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off. Drank a diet coke. Received phone calls from all kinds of area codes with wrong numbers (guess they decide to call "people the love" only one time a year. I've had this number since March) Built a fort of blankets on the couch, less than 3 feet from my space heater. Peed in the downstairs bathroom. Watched a LOT of Yo Gabba Gabba on YouTube. (Who knew you could learn how to beat box with Biz Markie on YGG?? Ethan will for sure be getting some DVDs soon.) Did a couple loads of laundry. Sent a few "I swear I'm OK" text messages. KIND OF Skyped with my sister and Ethan at her in-laws. We had a little connection problem... Watched my bag of ice have a melt down.

I feel good! I think how much everyone built up how hard this would be caused a lot of unnecessary anxiety and concern, but dang it, I'm enjoying my day off!

No comments:

Post a Comment