Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

You know you're a nerd when...

You look forward to your lunchbreak, walk home a little quicker, and take an extremely fast shower to have more time to enjoy your new book. That's right, this gal got a Multnomah Library card! They have this great idea (maybe all libraries have this, I haven't stepped foot into one in over 10 years..) to let you go on-line, search books you would like to read, and put it on a hold list. Once they get it at that branch, they'll e-mail you and tell you to come pick it up. Well I didn't know if you put 6 books on hold, there's a possibility that you'll get an e-mail with 4 titles of books that are on hold for you until Monday. So now I have 4 books to read by December 1.

I've never been a big reader until I moved to Portland. Wait, let me rephrase that. I use to LOVE walking to the library from the house my sister and I grew up in. It was (if Leland had blocks) about 2 blocks away. My mom and I would walk over and bring back bags and bags of books and I would have a reading marathon. Also, there was the book-it club. This girl loved Pizza Hut, and after reading so many books you got so many stars, which then turned into FREE PERSONAL PAN PIZZAS!!! Reading=Eating. Love it. But once I grew up, and maybe it had something to do with moving out of that house when I was 12, I stopped enjoying reading so much, and started a love for other things, like boys.

Well, I'm back to my good ol' single lifestyle- nerd glasses, stack of books, Red Baron's pizza crust next to my pillow case, Kool-Aid mustache. I'm feeling PRETTY good about life!

So what 4 special books am I obsessed with until we have to go our separate ways before December?

Eating Animals Jonathan Safran Foer
"Brilliantly synthesizing philosophy, literature, science, memoir, and his own detective work, Eating Animals explores the many stories we use to justify our eating habits-folklore and pop culture, family traditions, and national myth, apparent facts and inherent fictions-and how such tales can lull us into a brutal forgetting"

Three Cups of Tea Greg Mortenson & David Oliver Relin
"One Man's Mission to Promote Peace...One School at a time."

Mutant Message Down Under Marlo Morgan
"Mutant Message recounts a unique, timely, and powerful life-enhancing message for all humankind: It is not too late to save our world from destruction if we realize that all living things-be they plants, animals, or human beings-are part of the same universal oneness."

A Piece of Cake Cupcake Brown
"Orphaned by the death of her mother and left in the hands of a sadistic foster parent, young Cupcake Brown learned to survive by turning tricks, downing hard liquor, and ingesting every drug she could find while hitchhiking up and down the California coast. She stumbled into gangbanging, drug dealing, hustling, prostitution, theft, and eventually the best scam of all: a series of 9-to-5 jobs."

No comments:

Post a Comment