Search This Blog

Friday, November 19, 2010

Stupid Trees

I'm as guilty as the next person for obsessing over them, but I'm starting to NOT understand what's the big deal about the leaves changing. Maybe I'm not as much as a fall person as I thought I was, or maybe it's just the gloomy NW weather getting to me, but those beautiful orange, red, and yellow trees just a few weeks ago are now bare. Already. That tree at my bus stop, the one that would prevent the rain from getting me soaking wet, is now leaf-less and offers me no protection. The trees remind me of death, which reminds me of people who have died and it doesn't make me feel good, at all.

I'm bummed because I realize when I come home I won't run into Michael. Ever again. I will visit him and pay my respects, but I'll never get to give him a big warm hug or hear his jolly laugh. And what sucks even more is that I took all that for granted. We lived on the same coast as eachother for years and I took him and the fact that he would be there forever, for granted. In fact, every day I'm learning of more people and things I took for granted. Just tonight I chatted it up with a friend who I use to hide-and-seek with when we were just snot faced nerds in overalls and keds. I haven't hung out with him in years, but we were so close to eachother physically. It took me 3,000 miles, a few months, and a lot of money to show me that what I was looking for-friendship, love, good eats, fun times-was right there tapping me on the shoulder the whole time. 3,000 miles. That's a long ways away.

Things don't last forever. Leaves or people.

Enjoy them while they're there. I'll be looking forward to spring when those pretty little leaves pop back up. Too bad people aren't leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment