Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Help..

..I'm drowning.

I'm way too excited with thinking (again) that I know which way I want my life to go. I'm thinking down that education road, getting back into school, and doing something that hits close to home. Just googlin' around on the internet tonight and getting ideas of what I'm in for causes me to become scared, nervous, and inpatient (duh, I'm my father's daughter). I want to go NOW and talk to someone about where to start my journey.

Where is my LIFE guidance counselor.

When does "just let your heart lead you there" end, and real, solid advice begin?

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE hair, I LOVE Aveda, and I LOVE what I do. But at times I want to tell people to get over the way they look on the outside and give yourself a break. I want to help people who need to be help, not who's ego needs to be stroked. I love my (NC) clients and love that I still get e-mails, postcards, and packages from my old clients who still adore me, miles and miles away. They make me feel like a million dollars. But lately I've been surrounded by people who, strangely only get haircuts once a year, but freak out if a hair is out of place. I don't get it. It's just going to get wet in .23 seconds anyhow... It's exhausting, and honestly I don't feel like my heart is in it out here the way it was in the south. I get too worried when a client "loves" her hair and talks about how fabulous it is, because more than likely she's going to get home, obsess in a mirror and handheld, and after fingering her hair until it falls out, find something that's not perfect (maybe her emotional stability?) and complain. It shouldn't be that way. I shouldn't be losing my confidence. I think I'm a pretty talented stylist...

The worst, and hardest part of my life was from before I could remember, until all through elementary school. Although then I didn't think it was THAT awful at times, it was hard. I had an extreme speech impediment. I couldn't say my R's and no one understood a thing that came out of my mouth. It was so frustrating and hurtful when I was mocked by friends and family. I still cry to this day and get extremely hurt if someone makes fun of the way I say a word, whether it's because of my accent or because I did say it wrong. I don't understand why people think it's so funny to make fun of someone with a speech impediment. I guess it all goes back to stroking people's egos and feeling like they're better than you, even if just for that moment.

I want to protect every child who doesn't speak properly, and I want to slap parents who's children should have been through therapy to have their speech corrected, but were too lazy or thought it wasn't that big of a deal, so now their child will have to go through that mockery for their entire life. Since I can't fly around like a superhero and protect those children and slap those parents, maybe, just maybe, I'll become a Speech Pathologist. I'll do my part in correcting their speech while giving them the confidence they'll need to not be so sensitive WHEN, not if, family and friends continue to joke and make fun of. I never want to imagine who I would be today without the help of my therapist. I remember going from a shy, quiet child, to, well, who I am now! If I remembered her name and had her address I would send her flowers today. I want to be that person to someone. I want a child to run home to their parents and say "Guess what Miss Davis helped me with today?!" and I want to see the progress. The progress in something that matters more than growing out old highlights or repairing damaged ends.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I have another friend who is sucessful with what he does and has been doing it for serveral years now but due to some things in his life has finally found (for lack of a better term) what he wants to be when he grows up. 2 things really led him to where he is now.. He had a lot of physical problems with his foot and many doctors told him that he should just stop running that there wasn't a way to make the pain go away. Also his wife's sister had a baby that had some problems, and the first 2-3 doctors they visited while providing very factual information they didn't really offer support. As you mentioned above the right person who cares about you and offers support can make all the difference in the world. The next doctor the family saw was invigorating with her ideas, her attidude and her love and support for the baby and family. My friend is still working full time but has his schedule set up so that is also a full time student and working towards getting in PT school. He wants to listen to people and care about what they are experiencing as a person, not treat them as a case study from a book. I've never seen him so excited and full of life. He's so busy right now but with his goal on the horizon he knows that it will be worth it.

    If being a speech pathologist is what gives you that motivation and desire, make a plan and go for it. Its refreshing and rewarding to find that thing that will propel us through life as our career and passion.

    Lastly, from your post "When does "just let your heart lead you there" end, and real, solid advice begin?" Yahoo had an interesting article on giving advice and touched on that subject.
    http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/life/the-best-advice-for-giving-advice-2408469/

    Good luck!
    Derek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jessica,
    Don't know if I've ever commented on your blog before or not, but I'm good friends with your sister and I've met you a few times, so just wanted to offer up my 2 cents worth here.

    "When does 'just let your heart lead you there' end, and real, solid advice begin?" - I have to say on this one, solid advice usually does come from the heart, if not your own, it's someone's heart who usually lead them to earn the solid advice. I tend to think about it kinda like this - every time I'd ever ask my great grandmother for advice or her thoughts, the biggest things she cared about where matters of the heart. Your heart is what makes you happy, not your brain. Kinda goes with what Derek wrote - you can be great at what you do, but if it doesn't fill you with love and joy in your heart, it's not what fulfills you, motivates you, or drives you to be a better person.

    With all that said, Never stop dreaming. Throughout your life, your priorities will change, and a job that once gave you great joy (for example being a Hair Stylist), may change, and you find a new passion. Having new passions doesn't mean you're crazy for wanting something different, although you might hear some people tell you that. You obviously desire to make a difference in people's lives, I see that in your motivation for being a stylist, and I see it in your passion for wanting to be a speech therapist, so when you see new challenges and new passions come up in your life, take advantage of them when you can, if you can, and life out your dreams.

    Joshua 1:9 - Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”

    Dana

    ReplyDelete