Search This Blog

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Brain Throw-Up

Culture- the quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc.

Today we're heading to the Portland Art Museum! This is something I've looked forward to from the time I had planned my visit out west.

Check it out for yourself!

R. Crumb has an exhibit on the book of Genesis and I've been dying to check it out. He's an interesting cat, and can be somewhat perverted in his twisted ways. In an interview, when asked about the serious approach he took to the book he responded, "the text itself is so lurid and barbaric, you don't have to alter the text, you can just illustrate as accurately as possible the text as it's written." Later he adds, "a lot of the Crumb fans were very disappointed because it wasn't this outrageous takeoff. I had no idea how they would take it. And you know, people ask me if there's been a lot of hostile reactions from religious people and I really haven't gotten much of that." So, it's Sunday, let's go look at the Bible in an art form!

Work has kicked my butt, in a good way! I didn't realize this is how busy a hair stylist should be. I'm glad I'm learning at such a young age, and not settling for less. My co-workers are very friendly and helpful. They make me feel right at home! And everyone definitely has a twin from Wilmington. I have the next couple days off, and as much as I would like to just rest the days away, summer is coming to an end soon and I've been told repeatedly that I should take advantage of these beautiful days. It's only been hovering around the 70's throughout the days, and sun-shiny! My ideal weather.

Music has been my drug lately. I almost panicked when my iPod died on my walk home last night! I've found a lot of salvation in the Avett Bros (back to them in a second), Joe Purdy, Notorious BIG, ALO, Rogue Wave, Pinback, Velvet Underground, Paul Simon, Sam Bush, Modest Mouse, and the Decemberists (both Portland natives!) I got a little home sick last night. I was outstretched on the couch in my jammies at 9:30, nerd glasses attached, reading a comic book and drinking a Molson Canadian, while my roommate was playing video games til his eyes bled (not really, just a saying I love from Charlie on "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia"), when I turned on Facebook and saw pictures filling my page with the Avett Brothers in Myrtle Beach! I temporarily got sad with the idea that I didn't get to go this year, even though last year, thanks to my bestie Megan, I made it. Still, it reminded me how I miss my NC bluegrass. Now I know all of  y'all are thinking "WHAT? You're going to have a ton of awesome bands come through Portland!", but, it's not only the music I need, but the good company.

My stomach ached with pain as I sent Cortney her nightly "i miss you" text after work. I longed for being able to call her up after work, meet up with each other, drive around aimlessly drinking Mocha Shakes (don't even get me started on those..) listening to the old school Nelly, or possibly Jay-Z Cd's, and laughing 'til we throw up. Yep. Those were the good Saturday nights! Just the idea of it being physically impossible hurts. I know it'll slowly stop hurting one of these days. Also, last night I realized how weird New Years Eve will be this year. While y'all are celebrating back home, it'll be 9 o'clock here. I'll probably just be walking in from work, depending on what night it is. That just seems weird. Watching Sleepless in Seattle last night reminded me of that fact.

So I know I use this song often, but it's my favorite. I recommend checking it out on iTunes.

"Some movie star told you this ain't where it's at.
So you packed your bags and one night you headed out.
Said, these small town blues got you going insane
gone into the city, gonna change your name.
And you never look back at where you came
swore you'll never be the same.
Do you miss me?
You're a big girl now, got your big shoes
and you're running around with big girl blues.
And I know you don't doubt yourself anymore
no, when you feel like leaving, walk out the door.
And I bet you ain't got nothin left to learn,
it's better that way cause you never get burned.
And you try not to think about what might have been
cause you know this town is just sink or swim.
Do you miss me?
Well the last time I say you were waving goodbye
from the back of the train with a tear in your eye.
Now I hear you're in love with some big city man
and together you're making your big city plans
and you hope he don't find out about who you are
that we used to catch fireflies in mason jars
and we used to go down to the county fair
and we listened to blue grass in summer air
and we danced all night as the rain came down
and you held my hand as we slept on the ground
and we wrote our names in the old oak wood
I guess some things don't work out like they should.
Do you miss me?"

Miss me. Joe Purdy.

I miss y'all and love y'all very much

1 comment:

  1. I miss you and love YOU very much. We talk about you daily and wish only the best for you, sweet girl. Hope you have a great few days off. Can't wait to get back to our bbm. xoxo Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete