Search This Blog

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Mountain (Wo)Man

Well I survived! Almost a whole 48 hours in the woods up towards Mt. Hood. I have to admit, I had a GREAT time! When asked "If we were in Wilmington right now (at 8pm last night) what would we be doing?", my response made me realize how bored I was back home. "Hm, probably taking a nap so I could get rested for a night downtown at the same bar with the same crowds of people in those bars". But instead, I was in the woods 12 miles (yes, 12) up a mountain with not a light in sight. I couldn't believe how beautiful the stars were on the first night. Billions and billions of beautiful, free, natural light. When you look out to the distance, past the hills and the valleys, I was told was about 100 mi away, you could see hundreds of windmills lighting up the sky with their blinking red lights. Being the only gal with about 8 guys, there was the typical guy talk while snuggled around the campfire with a cool chill coming off Black Lake. Also during this wonderful weekend, I took a big step in my "wild west ways"...I learned how to shoot a gun! And, I did pretty well if I could say so myself. My mom can't get over that she kept me away from guns in our home all my life, and not even a week into moving here I'm learning how to shoot one! That Rainier can didn't stand a chance!

This weekend definitely taught me to love Mother Nature, bask in her beautiful glory while it's there, learn how to pack for a camping trip, and to never underestimate a shower! Also, guns can be dangerous.

Tomorrow I'm meeting with my new job to do some official business and talk with some important people. I will keep y'all updated with the process!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you survived your camping adventure! Good luck tomorrow :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete