Search This Blog

Thursday, August 5, 2010

I Made It!!

After a whole lot of traveling, a dirty hotel room with a box of pizza, and a 4 am morning to only travel some more for a few hours, I made it to Portland! I had a beautiful train trip on the Amtrak and was very ready to get "home"! I walked though the gates off the train and saw Kelly and Greg, and all the butterflies went away! The weather was beautiful and the city was shining. My heart melted while staring up at the buildings, riding with the windows down, chatting with friends I haven't seen in almost 2 years. Although it's been so long, I feel like we haven't missed a day of seeing eachother. It just feels like we ALWAYS go to Hawthorne Blvd to have lunch, and that walking through the Rose Garden is so normal. My heart tells me I belong here. My friends tell me I belong here.


Yesterday after I arrived, Kelly, Greg, and I stopped by the Rose Garden to get the city view. It was breathtaking to see "my new city". Also, I wish I could share with you what the fragrance of HUNDREDS of rose bushes smell like. Every flower different from the next...it was just remarkable. Later we went to the Hawthorne District to grab lunch and catch up. We sat outside and enjoyed the 70 degrees and sunny skies atmosphere! Plus, people watching is amazing out here. After, Kelly brought me to my new house to unload my bags. It looked just like I remembered and was very proud of how clean the boys have it! Spencer, one of my roommates, was here. We got to catch up for a little bit and then Kelly and I made a Target run for things I remembered I needed. We ended our day together at the Kennedy School. So far, one of my favorite places around. Google it, I can't describe how neat it is! Later, I came back home to unpack and get settled when Jackson (my other roommate) finally got home from work. We all ate pizza, joked around, and watched tv, as if I've always been here. It was a great, comfortable feeling. I feel like I fit right in!


Today I woke up VERY early from the time change. My body still thinks I'm on Eastern Time. I walked down to the local bakery. It's about a 20 minute walk one way and was worth every minute. No longer will I be buying my bread from Target! The walk allowed to me to catch up with my mama and daddy and Cortney. I was able to wear a comfy sweater and jeans because it was 60 degrees out with NO humidity! It's nice to be able to take your time and not have to fight the hustle and bustle (I can still say this while I'm job-less for the next few days!) Later, Kelly and I went on a hike to Forest Park. It's HUGE. I was pretty sure I was going to have a heart attack walking up the steep climb, as she's almost running it, but it was worth it. The view of the trees and the green life, ah. It was absolutely breath-taking. The walk down was much easier, but my thighs will hate me for the next few days. We went to the Alberta District and had a very yummy lunch. I swear they have the best food out here! After walking around a little she brought me back home where I'm working on a much needed nap! Just wanted to update y'all that I finally made it safe and sound, and thanks for all your support! I couldn't have made this big girl step all by myself.


A view from the top higher than the ground!
Very tall pines

No comments:

Post a Comment